Color Replacement

Intro

First of all, what is dithering? Looking up "dither" in Google turns up this definition: Creating the illusion of new colors and shades by varying the pattern of dots. And this method can be very pretty if you do it right. but you are not here to learn how to dither. no. You are here to learn how to replace the color that is dithered. Because that can be intimidating and a bitch.

This method also holds true with replacing a specific color and not disturbing the colors around it. as well as picking up the "scraggilies" around the edges of a picture. like, if there are white dots (of the same shade of white, that is important) everywhere and you don't want to find time trying to fill it with the or the . That can result in a lot of CTRL-Z. And it gets very annoying. Also, this method comes in very useful when it comes to those one pixel thin lines.

So let's look at the three major problems when running into filling colors that would otherwise take time out of your dolling day...

Scraggilies are annoying. hands down. They are not just on and surrounding dolls either. they can be a huge downer when you thought you got every little white spot, but then you see your dark doll on that black background and see that ONE white dot you forgot! They are also the glaring spaces that cannot fill in text. And filling them in can make any need to make a doll transparent very unattractive. filling in the "o" "p" and "e" in texts can get tedious.

Dither, as explained above, dots. lots of dots. and usually a just won't cut it when it comes to them. Eventually they are dithered to a "checkerboard" pattern. And then you find yourself filling in each and every dot. Ever wanted to make a drow doll on an Autumn Pixels base, for instance, but couldn't because it was dithered and replacing the light colors with dark are just... too much? I feel ya.

One Pixel Lines used to make me cry before I discovered this method. Here is an example, the outline of a base is too light, you wish it was darker... so you zoom in and fill in the line manually! Stop! Are you crazy! There is a better way, of course. Or, you don't want the text color to be black, maybe? You want it to be red instead. Save the magnifying glass and get ready for a revelation.

The How To

If you remember my explanation of the color boxes located in the color bar in the previous lesson, then you should have an understanding of what I will be talking about. for this particular method, these would be your favored tools:

In recapping the previous lesson:
The #1 box is the first color. This is the color that you want to replace with the second color.
The #2 box is the second color, the color your eraser erases with. This is the color you will be replacing the first color with.

So really, in order to replace the color, you choose the color you want to replace, being the first color, with the left-click of your mouse. And then you choose the color you want to replace the first color with by right-clicking a second color.
Then, holding down the right-click on your mouse, you go over the color you want to replace, with . watch in awe as it changed to the color you wanted to change to

Now, you may be tempted to left-click with the . But that won't do anything. observe the example:

For this example, I have two colors in this picture. RED and GRAY. My replacement color will be BLUE. The color I want to replace is the RED color. Follow me so far?

Since I chose BLUE as my replacing color, the eraser should be blue when you choose it. (If you are following this example and the eraser is not blue, I suggest you go back and read over the rules.) But, anyway, do you see the big difference between the left-click and the right-click in this? For the benefit of the doubt, Iíll say "good job!"

Notice how when I used and held down right-click as I "erased" the RED, it got replaced with the BLUE, yet, the GRAY was left untouched? that, sir, is the method!

And if you're wondering, yes you can replace the GRAY with the BLUE and leave the RED untouched. And this is what it would look like:

In Closing

Not so terrible, and the method just breezes through all three of the major problems like nothing!:

Easy huh? Bet yer kickin' yourself now! Can I watch?
(c) Shelby Wright 2011. All Rights Reserved